Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fastest shawl ever.

My Interweave book order finally arrived last Wednesday afternoon, just in time to take it with me to Hurricane Knitters and start on the Shetland Triangle. SJ and Yvonne had my back though - they each brought their copy of Wrap Style for me to borrow in case mine had still not arrived! This was my first time following charts, so SJ helped me out with those and the provisional cast on called for in the pattern. I knit several rows of the first chart that night, but once I was more comfortable with the pattern and the chart, I decided to rip and restart the shawl on Thursday so that my stitches would be more even and my provisional cast on would look better. I knit away on the shawl for the past week, and late last night, I finished:



Once I got into it, the pattern was so easy, and this just flew off the needles! Heck, SJ cast on for this (in her own handspun, no less) as her Ravelympics project on Friday and was finished in three days! As usual, knitting with the Dream in Color yarn (Smooshy, Cloud Jungle) was a dream. This is probably my favorite colorway yet and the colors remind me of one of my favorite stones - labradorite:



The shawl is currently in a Eucalan bath for a nice long soak, and blocked photos will be forthcoming. I can't wait to see how it blocks out!

While I was out yesterday afternoon at Whole Foods, I couldn't resist a trip to Natural Stitches, especially after remembering that Melissa mentioned that they had Dream in Color's new laceweight yarn, Baby, in stock. This is one gorgeous ball of Blue Lagoon, all 700 yards of it graciously and perfectly wound by Melissa (thanks again, Melissa!):



I swear that this yarn just takes my breath away. While I was at the shop, I also had to check out what roving they had in stock, and lo, discovered some Lorna's Laces Shepherd Wool Top, which I've admired online several times:



That's about five ounces of superwash Merino wool in their Watercolor colorway, and it's just soft and lovely and delicious. Now I just need to finish spinning that green roving that's been sitting, half spun, on the wheel for ages!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

I don't think you can claim to be a slow knitter anymore -- a lace shawl, knit from charts, in a week! I can't wait to see the blocked photos (though I know it will be spectacular).

Love the roving you picked up!

1:21 PM  
Blogger Yvonne said...

Hooray, you did it!! It's gorgeous. I'm jealous you have Dream in Color Baby. I want some. The Stash Weasels are tempting me to buy more yarn.

2:06 PM  
Blogger DPUTiger said...

1. I love the plate on which you displayed that roving
2. Everything Dream in Color does is wonderful, although I wish it wouldn't crock quite so much (color comes off on my hands, but seems to not bleed with the finished garment?)
3. You totally crack me up with the re-do of the provisional cast-on and first section. But that's why we love you! :)

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home